Monday, June 2, 2008

I, My and My 'I'

In English,  we use 'I' to refer to our identity (self) and 'my'  to refer to things connected to or owned by the 'I'.

So, 'I have a headache' identifies me as the one that suffers, 'I am rich' meaning that the self is wealthy, and so on. When we say 'my head hurts' or 'my savings are gone', we imply that 'I' am not my head or my savings. Implicit in much of the usage of 'my' are to things not  identified as the 'I'. Many of our planes of existence are not identified as 'I' and separate from it.

What then is meant by 'I am my own master'? Does it point to a 'self' separate from all that is usually implied by me? Does it mean a self that can be separated from all the rest that usually identifies me? My social, physical, perceptual, intellectual expressions are manifestations of the self but not one with the self? Is it possible to identify this 'I' by introspection?

Can the 'Self' be identified as the 'I' that observes/owns all that is connected to 'my', yet is distinct from all of it?


No comments: